Once you have read those, you will probably start to notice an underlying theme… PULL UP CHALLENGE!
In order to reach my goal of stringing together sets of 15-20 unbroken pull ups, I am going to follow the Armstrong Pull Up Program. This program was developed by Major Charles Lewis Armstrong when he was trying to break the world record of the most pull ups in a single unbroken set.
In case there was any of you who were also trying to improve their pull ups, you may be interested in trying out this program yourself!
The program is 5 days on, 2 days rest, repeated for as many weeks as necessary to reach your goal. A good timeline is to follow this program for 6-8 weeks and evaluate your progress so that you can then make tweaks as necessary, depending on plateaus you may reach.
The Armstrong Pull Up Program is as follows:
- Day 1: 5 Sets of Max Effort Pull Ups with 90 seconds rest between sets. Make sure each set is MAX effort without coming off the bar until you fail a rep.
- Day 2: Pyramid Set: 1 rep, rest 10 seconds, 2 reps, rest 10 seconds, 3 reps, rest 10 seconds, etc until a set is failed. For example, if you are supposed to do 6 reps and only do 4, you failed that set. Once you fail a set, then do one more max effort set
- Day 3: Grip Switch Training Sets: Pick a rep count that you can maintain for 9 sets, no more, no less. Do 3 sets of standard grip pull ups, 3 sets of close grip chin ups, 3 sets of wide grip pull ups at that rep count. 60 seconds of rest allowed between each set.
- Day 4: Max Training Sets: Using the same rep count as the prior day, do as many training sets as possible. If you exceed 9 sets, then the following week you need to add 1 rep to each training set.
- Day 5: Repeat whichever day felt the most challenging from the week.
- Rest for 2 Days and Repeat
Special Note: This program’s rep scheme can be used for any movement that you are looking to increase your unbroken reps in, just figure out how to adapt it for that particular movement.
For accountability during this program, I have made a PUBLIC tracking sheet for anyone to see: Aaron’s Accountability Sheet
I will be doing weekly updates on how my training is going and what my experiences are with the program above so that you can decide if this program sounds right for you as well!