So week 1 is in the books!
If you haven’t read my post about the pull up program that I was going to be working through, click here to check it out.
I was able to stay on top of the program by doing my sets of pull ups first thing in the morning each day. Luckily the weather has been pretty mild here in Tennessee so the temperature is not too bad in the garage at 6 am.
Everyone should be able to look at my Accountability Sheet and see the exact numbers for the week. Since I am just getting started, they aren’t anything too amazing, but everyone has to start somewhere!
Some highlights from the weeks:
- Day 1 started out with max pull up efforts and I pumped out 6! That’s more than I even realized I had in me so that’s exciting
- Day 4 was time to max out on training sets. Since I only had sets of 2, I was able to exceed the goal of 9 sets and push it all the way to 15 before failure. So next week I will have to increase all training sets to 3 reps and see how that goes!
- Day 5 is used to repeat the hardest effort of the week and for me that was repeating day 1, but I was actually able to squeeze out an extra rep in the 3rd max effort set, so it’s exciting to see progress, even if it’s only one rep at a time.
Some Lessons Learned:
- Grip strength and endurance can really be a limiting factor! Probably because my hands were used to so much time spent on the bar, later in the week I started to feel my grip fatigue almost faster than my muscles.
- I am going to try to add in some of Ido Portal’s hanging exercises to help develop grip strength and endurance a bit quicker.
- Be sure to do some sort of movement each day to help balance out the pull ups, even if it is just a few sets of push ups. It will really help with the soreness. There was one day this week where I didn’t have Crossfit Glorified class in the afternoon and I felt most sore the next morning.
That’s pretty much all I have from you for week 1! I really appreciate the support that I have received in attacking this challenge. If at any point you want to join in and start the challenge yourself, just let me know and I will help you get started on the right foot!